Mulan | 2017

Mulan | Mulan

Made for : Commission for Hiro

Things used :

  • Simplicity 1045
  • McCall’s M7270
  • Burda 7086
  • green brocade
  • yellow brocade
  • magenta sequin mesh
  • magenta satin
  • yellow chiffon
  • yellow ribbon bias
  • teal ribbon
  • teal + gold floral trim
  • green mesh trim
  • blue scuba knit
  • sage green cotton

construction

Under dress : Made using Burda 7086. The whole dress was made using a yellow brocade that Hiro had picked out. Originally I was going to make an over skirt out of yellow chiffon but it ended up covering too much of the pattern of the brocade. However, I did keep the chiffon layer on the bodice part.

I added pipping to the neckline made from left over scraps of the green brocade that was used for the jacket.

Jacket : Made from McCall’s M7270 for the main part and Simplicity 1045 for the sleeves. Hiro supplied the green brocade which I used for the majority of it. I lined the sleeves in a sage green cotton. I trimmed the edges in a metallic green florist mesh and then gold bias on either side of that.

I made the neckline trim from a wide strip of teal satin bias which I sewed a teal and gold embroided floral trim too.

Obi/Sash : The obi was made from from a blue scuba knit fabric underneath which I eyeballed the shape of. I used a gold metallic thread and a fancy embroidery stitch on my machine around the edges.

The magenta part was made from a layer of magenta satin with a sequin mesh fabric over top. Once again, eyeballing the shape of it. I added stiff interfacing and boning to the magenta part to help it keep its shape with a hook and eye closure in the back. I finished it off with the same gold bias tape that I used on the sleeves.

Ariel – Pink Dress | 2017
Mary Poppins | 2016
Tinkerbell – 2014
Ariel – Green Dress | 2014

Leave a Reply

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: