Made for : Dragoncon 2017
Background : A little backstory on the concept of this outfit. I wish I could take full credit for the design of this skirt and top combo, but that honor goes to an artist I found on the web by the name of becca.whitaker.
I came across this photo of a rockabilly Joker and Harley Quinn when searching for vintage Harley Quinn inspiration for my trip to Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party at Disney World. It was love at first sight and I knew I had to recreate it.
Things used :
- 1 meter of cotton sateen in red and black
- Simplicity pattern 8342
- matching thread of choice (I used red and black)
The reason I loved it so much, is because it was incredibly simple, a circle skirt and a top.
I browsed through the pattern section at my local Spotlight and found 8342 by Simplicity. It was a cute halter top that tied at the bust. Perfect for re-creating this look.
First of all, I really hate myself and love to make clothing from patterns that require fabric to have 4-way stretch only to use fabric with little to no stretch instead. This pattern was once again, no different.
I had my heart set on using cotton sateen which has some stretch to it but not the 10cm of crosswise stretch this pattern needed. Cue alteration.
I started by cutting the pattern pieces out two sizes larger than I needed them. I thought this would give it enough room for it to fit me like a glove without having to need to stretch to do so. Luckily I was right which meant I didn’t have to add extra length to it anywhere like I usually do when making stretch patterns non-stretch.
I did have to add a seam down the centre front so I could have one half red and one half black. The pattern piece says to cut it on a fold so I didn’t. Instead, I added an extra 1.5cms along the fold line so I could account for adding in a seam.
Other than that, it was an easy pattern to follow, a little tricky when adding the straps along the bust line, but nothing exceedingly difficult.
Bonus skirt information!
There’s nothing really exciting about the skirt, it’s just an average circle skirt from an average circle skirt pattern. The only neat thing I did, was cut a bunch of diamonds from the same broadcloth I used for the skirt and then from a glitter chiffon which I layered together, overlocked the edges and sewed them along the bottom of the skirt.
Difficulty : *
Time : 2 hours
Cost : $$ (Only because of fabrics used)